Sunday, August 28, 2011

African American Students and My Assumptions, Perceptions, and Beliefs

    
     I am excited about the goal of the immersion project, which is to increase my understanding of how members of a group I am not a part of experience the campus climate.   I selected African American students as my targeted group and below are some of my assumptions, perceptions, and beliefs.

* minority
* oppressed
* under-privileged
* students often come from lower income families and/or single income families
* many of these students are first-generation college students
* students are likely to receive financial aid
* may struggle academically and require developmental courses
* may struggle with anger management / fighting / misconduct, drugs, and alcohol
* single moms
* students may be living at home and hold a job in addition to being a student
* students have a strong sense of community and are close to their families
* students may begin taking classes, do poorly, drop out, and try to return
* students may have little or no family support or encouragement regarding pursuing a college degree
* assume that there is a lower graduation rate with this population
* more likely to begin taking courses at a community college than a 4-year institution

     Throughout the course of this semester I trust that many of these beliefs, misconceptions and stereotypes will be dispelled as I have the opportunity to interview students and research more information about African American students.

No comments:

Post a Comment